Most Viewed Stories
Deadly Linda fire started on stove
A trailer fire that claimed the life of a Linda man earlier this week was started by a pan of cooking french fries, Yuba County sheriff's investigators said Friday.
Shawn Seawater died of smoke inhalation from a fire that started on the kitchen stove in his family's trailer at the Mia Casa Mobile Home Park, 2019 Hammonton-Smartsville Road, the Yuba County Coroner's Office said.
Foul play is not suspected, Undersheriff Jerry Read said.
Seawater, 35, was heating an oiled pan to cook some french fries before the flames sparked and fire spread to the rest of the trailer, Linda Fire Chief Rich Webb said.
"There was a (stove) burner on at the time and the burn pattern points to that," Webb said.
Why Seawater was unable to get out of the trailer remains unclear.
Firefighters found his body in a room near the kitchen, authorities said. An autopsy was conducted Thursday.
Two family dogs also died in the fire, authorities said.
Flames sparked early Wednesday and firefighters rushed to the scene around 12:20 a.m.
Damage to the trailer has been estimated between $20,000 and $30,000, and it is considered a total loss, fire officials said.
Neighbors said Seawater moved into the family's home several weeks earlier. He was alone when the fire started. Family members were away working in the Bay Area.
CONTACT Rob Parsons at firstname.lastname@example.org or 749-4785. Find him on Facebook at /ADcrimebeat or on Twitter at @ADcrimebeat.