Arbuckle Golf Club
If you live in the Yuba-Sutter area, is it worth driving about an hour to play nine holes?
This course is.
It's in great shape, a hidden jewel at the end of a road lined by almond orchards, with mature oaks lining the fairways, some sloping gently, some flat, the last two dropping off severely at 100 yards and playing back up to elevated greens.
But locals will tell you the key to Arbuckle is learning the intricacies of the greens.
• Address: 5918 Hillgate Road, Arbuckle
• Phone: (530) 476-2470
• Course: Semi-private; closed Mondays
• Holes: 9
• Par: 36
• Length: men 3,262 yards for nine holes; 6,460 for 18; women 2,983 and 5,912
• Course rating/slope: men 70.2/120; women 73.8/123
• 18-hole greens fees: $15 weekdays; $25 weekends and holidays
• Range balls: $3
• Membership: 300
• Signature hole: The dogleg-right, 548-yard fifth hole is the No. 1 handicap, with a big oak guarding the green.
• Opened: 1923
• Designers: A group of local players, including Shannon Goodman, Bill Struckmeyer and Doug Matthews
• Head pro: Andy Schroder
• Superintendent: Craig McDonald
• Owners: Members
• Fairways, greens and rough: Poe anna mix
• Course record: 61, Jeff Mason
• Rounds played per year: 6,000 to 7,000
• Water: No water
• Other facilities: Grass-tee driving range, pro shop, snack bar, banquet facilitie