Suspected gang member pleads not guilty in shooting
Olivehurst man told deputies he returned fire
A suspected Olivehurst gang member pleaded not guilty yesterday to exchanging gunfire earlier this week with drive-by shooting suspects on Virginia Avenue.
Jonathan M. Dixon told Yuba County sheriff’s deputies he returned fire just after midnight Sunday when unidentified subjects fired at his home in the 900 block of Virginia Avenue.
Dixon, 24, said he fired multiple shots from a .22-caliber firearm then got rid of the gun, according to court documents.
Authorities have said the incident may not have been gang-motivated.
He is charged with being an ex-felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition and shooting a vehicle.
Two rounds fired from the vehicle struck Dixon’s home and one round fired from the home struck a vehicle across the street. Nobody was injured.
Dixon remains in custody at the Yuba County Jail on $250,000 bail. He is due back in Yuba County Superior Court again Monday. A preliminary hearing is set for Wednesday.