Sober Wheels for drunken drivers
• Plan ahead. If you will be drinking, do not drive. Designate a sober driver or arrange another safe way home.
• If you are impaired, find another way home. Use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation.
• Be responsible. If someone you know is drinking, do not let that person get behind the wheel. If you see an impaired driver on the road, report them by calling 911.
Source: Avoid the 9 Task Force
One service available in Yuba and Sutter counties for those too buzzed to drive is the Sober Wheels program.
Belinda Aguirre opened the business three years ago. It operates Fridays and Saturdays. A driver takes you home in your own vehicle for a flat rate of $25 to go anywhere in Marysville or Yuba City.
"I really had no idea how bad drunk driving was in this area until we started this," Aguirre explained.
The company will make additional stops for $5 per stop, if you have a fast-food craving or need to drop off a friend or two or three.
"We have a lot of regulars, a lot of people that really depend on us, now," Aguirre said.
The Sober Wheels program can be reached at 301-7142.
Additional taxi services, which operate 24-hours every day include:
• Budget Cab Company at 755-1415. The pick-up costs $1.75 and runs $3.40 per mile.
• Yuba City All Star Cab at 674-3333. Their pick-up starts at $3.95 and each mile costs $3.40.