Yuba cooking lawsuit settled
A suit filed by a former Yuba County Sheriff's Department dispatcher who became severely ill after eating an undercooked pig at a Deputy Sheriff's Association fundraiser luau has been settled.
Cynthia Boutt sued the Garner Ranch, which butchered the pig, deputy Neal Houston who cooked it and the deputies association.
"She was very, very ill," said her attorney Melissa Bickel of Sacramento. "She almost died."
"It's an awful ordeal to have to through," Bickel said.
Boutt, a diabetic, was eight days from retirement when the Aug. 21, 2010, event was held and she suffered salmonella poisoning, the attorney said.
The ranch and the deputies association had earlier settled by each paying $5,000, Bickel said.
She declined to provide the amount of the settlement reached Oct. 31 with Houston but said it was substantially more than $5,000.
Attorneys for Houston and the deputies association could not be reached for comment.
Boutt never wanted to sue but did so after asking for out-of-pocket expenses, including copays, for her five-day hospital stay and being ignored, Bickel said.
About 40 people grew ill after the luau that involved cooking a pig over an open flame, according to the attorney.
It took about a year for Boutt to feel back to normal but she is doing well now, Bickel said.
The illness served as a wakeup call for Boutt and her husband.
"They started eating all organic food," the attorney said. "He cooks all her meals."
CONTACT Ryan McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 749-4780. Find him on Facebook at /ADrmccarthy or on Twitter at @ADrmccarthy.