Pink October activities in Yuba-Sutter grow
For more information on local Pink October events, visit www.Pink-October.org.
Tomorrow, Yuba-Sutter will turn shades of magenta, carnation and fuschia that will last all through the month.
In observance of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Geweke Ford Kia is celebrating Pink October once again with four weeks of awareness events, health screenings and fundraisers. All proceeds support the Geweke Caring for Women Foundation, which provides financial assistance to area breast-cancer survivors.
“There is still not a cure, so we know there is still a need,” said Nancy Elrod, the events’ community relations director. “To many people, $2,000 doesn’t sound like much, but when you are thousands of dollars behind in your bill, it definitely reduces a lot of stress in their lives.”
The foundation has helped 21 women to date this year, and about 300 women since its start in 2006.
The number of Pink October activities continues to grow, with businesses and organizations hosting events to support the foundation, such as the Yuba Sutter Symphony, Backroom Boutique, Yuba City Racquet & Health Club, Bishop’s Pumpkin Farm and Sopa Thai restaurant, according to Elrod.
“I think women and men who are going through breast cancer just appreciate seeing our community come together to show their support,” Elrod said. “We are just shocked every year. We think it can’t get any bigger – and then it does. ... We hope everyone will get involved in some way, but even if they just wear a pink ribbon and create awareness, we are thankful.”
* 15th annual Race for Awareness 5K Run/Walk on Oct. 6 at Geweke Field in Yuba City. Registration begins at 7 a.m., followed by a pink pancake breakfast. Preregistration is $25, day-of entry $30, teams $100. For more information, call 821-2121.
* Ninth annual Harley ride Oct. 6 starting at Guidera’s Harley Davidson in Yuba City. Registration begins at 9 a.m., ride starts at 10 a.m. with $25 donation. For more information, call 682-0068.
* Eighth annual Scramble for a Cure on Oct. 12 at Plumas Lake Golf and Country Club. Shotgun start at noon. Entry fee is $130 and includes cart fees and food. For more information, call 674-8900.
* Sixth annual Bowling for Breasts on Oct. 20 at Nu Generation Lanes in Yuba City. Registration begins at 5:30 p.m. A $20 entry fee includes two games of bowling and shoe rentals. For more information, call 755-2600.
* 11th annual Survivor Fashion Show and Dinner on Oct. 29 at St. Isidore’s Parish Hall in Yuba City. Social hour at 5:30 p.m., dinner at 7 p.m. Individual tickets cost $65 or $650 for a table of eight. For more information, call 673-7000 or 821-4721.
* Denim Wednesdays each week to spur awareness by wearing denim with a pink ribbon. Ribbons available for $2 at Geweke locations and many community businesses.
* Low-cost mammogram screenings all month for women older than 40 who are underinsured or uninsured. For more information, call Sutter Medical Foundation at 749-3301, Sutter Buttes Imaging at 674-9000, Peach Tree Healthcare at 749-3242, Rideout Health at 751-4773 or Yuba City Advanced Imaging at 673-6674.
* Walk-in women’s health checks with low-coast breast, pap and rectal screenings for underinsured and uninsured women. Examination for $5 and $30 mammogram referral. For days and locations, call Sutter Obstetrics and Gynecology at 749-3585, Sutter Brownsville Care Center at 675-0466, Peach Tree Healthcare at 749-3242 and Live Oak Medical Clinic at 695-0700.