Briefs: Rackerby man jailed in baseball bat attack
A Rackerby man was jailed Wednesday after authorities said he struck his nephew in the neck with a baseball bat.
William Carl Allen Webb was booked into the Yuba County Jail on $30,000 bail on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.
Webb, 20, got into an argument with his nephew, Ronald Webb, just before 6 p.m. at their family's home in the 16000 block of Lague Road. The dispute spilled out of the family's trailer and turned into a shoving match before Webb started swinging the bat, Yuba County Sheriff's Lt. Shaun Smith said.
It was unclear what they fought about and the family was uncooperative, Smith said.
The case remains under investigation.
Ronald Webb was taken to Oroville Hospital in Butte County. An update on his condition was not available.
His injuries are not considered life-threatening, Smith said.
William Webb remained in custody on Thursday afternoon.
Not-guilty plea in Olivehurst shooting
A suspected Olivehurst gang member pleaded not guilty on Wednesday in Yuba County Superior Court to exchanging gunfire earlier this week with drive-by shooting suspects on Virginia Avenue.
Jonathan M. Dixon told Yuba County sheriff's deputies he returned fire just after midnight Sunday when unidentified people fired at his home in the 900 block of Virginia Avenue. Dixon, 24, said he fired multiple shots from a .22-caliber firearm, then got rid of the gun, according to court documents.
Authorities have said the incident may not have been gang motivated. Dixon is accused of being an ex-felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition and shooting a vehicle.
Two rounds fired from the vehicle struck Dixon's home and one round fired from the home struck a vehicle across the street. Nobody was injured.
Dixon remains in custody at the Yuba County Jail on $250,000 bail.
Anti-tobacco push again in movies
Yuba County Tobacco Education joined other groups this week in calling on movie studios to take a stronger hand in curbing youth exposure to tobacco use.
Among the four solutions the groups suggested were to rate movies with large amounts of smoking "R" unless the consequences were included, requiring producers to certify no one was paid for showing tobacco products in the movie, requiring strong anti-smoking ads before any movie with tobacco use and stopping identification of tobacco brands.
Previous campaigns resulted in a nearly 50-percent drop in smoking shown on screen between 2005 and 2010.