Man wanted in Yuba City killing gives up
A Yuba City man surrendered to police on Thursday after more than a week on the run in connection with last month's gang-related shooting death of Michael L. Suarez at his Yuba City home.
Carlos Antonio Rodriguez turned himself into the Sutter County Jail around 6:30 p.m., police spokeswoman Shawna Pavey said Friday.
Rodriguez was booked on suspicion of being an accessory to murder after the fact and criminal street gang participation, according to booking records. Bail was set at $500,000.
He was also held without bail on a probation violation.
Suarez, 26, was shot dead on Feb. 23 during a party at his home at 157 Del Monte Ave.
Pavey said the investigation continues and did not rule out the possibility of additional arrests.
"At this point, we have not (identified additional suspects)," Pavey said.
Rodriguez, 22, is scheduled for arraignment on Monday in Sutter County Superior Court. Yuba City police have not said what role they suspect Rodriguez played in Suarez's death.
Investigators issued a warrant for Rodriguez's arrest last week and sought the public's help finding him.
Rodriguez was the fourth suspected accessory arrested in case.
Roberto Zamudio Urquidez, 54; Jedidiah Jose Salazar, 24; and Maria Christina Velasco, 22, have all been arrested and released pending investigation. Prosecutors have not decided whether they will be charged in the case.
Suspected triggerman Ruben Melesio Zamora was arrested March 12 and charged with killing Suarez during the violent, alcohol-fueled house party.
Zamora, 32, appeared in court briefly on Friday, but his bail-review hearing was continued to April 18, the date of his preliminary hearing. His next court appearance is scheduled April 3.
According to Zamora's bail report, he plans to ask the court to release him from jail without posting bail because he is "unsure what amount of bail he would be able to afford." Zamora told officials he wants to help his girlfriend care for her four children.
The report calls Zamora "a danger to the community."
Zamora has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 1995. He was convicted in 2005 of assault with a deadly weapon and convicted in a separate case on a weapon's charge.
Zamora was sentenced to four years in state prison in a 2010 criminal conspiracy case in Sacramento County, the report says.
Zamora was released from prison on Sept. 30, 2012.
He remains in custody without bail at the Sutter County Jail.
CONTACT Rob Parsons at email@example.com or 749-4785. Find him on Facebook at /ADcrimebeat or on Twitter at @ADcrimebeat.