- Appeal-Democrat reader advisory board lukewarm on Kings
- Random thoughts paraphrased from recent meetings of members of the Appeal-Democrat's editorial advisory board:
Concerning the announcement last week that the NBA's relocation committee voted unanimously to recommend to the NBA Board of Go... Full story
- Survey Comments: Most agree immigration key to Y-S ag
- Well over 800 respondents have so far logged into an online survey being conducted by the Appeal-Democrat concerning immigration reform. Some preliminary results from the informal survey:
• 55 percent agree with the statement: "Some assert that... Full story
- Thomas D. Elias: Expect CEQA changes next year
- No law annoys California developers more than the California Environmental Quality Act and they figure to win at least some changes to its strict 42-year-old rules next year.
They almost sneaked through a major softening of the state's premiere envi... Full story
- David Ignatius: The power of an economic NATO
- BERLIN — At a recent meeting of German business and foreign-policy leaders, one participant summed up an anxiety that's almost palpable here: "Europeans have a sense of being left alone. You Americans don't understand how much we need you."
Eu... Full story
- Thomas D. Elias: Homeless vets a neglected problem
- You didn't hear a word about homeless veterans in President Barack Obama's State of the Union speech last January and chances are you won't hear anything from him about those vets next month, either, unless it's a boilerplate homage for their contrib... Full story
- Op-Ed: American exceptionalism is alive and well
- Douglas Binderup
- "American exceptionalism" — we have all heard the expression and have our own idea as to what that means. But I believe we can all agree that the term "American exceptionalism" would easily apply to Steve Jobs, co-founder and CEO of Apple Compu... Full story
- Mike Hubbartt: An appeal to preserve, protect the Sutter Buttes
- Mike Hubbartt
- The upcoming election, like the dawn of a new day, presents for us a new opportunity to complain about an on-going problem or to take some steps to make a difference in our day and in our life. The issues before us and the decisions we make today &md... Full story
- Our View: Thumbs up, thumbs down
- Thumbs down to the disgraceful actions on the baseball diamond last week that led to the punishment of eight Yuba City High School junior varsity baseball players. In addition to being kicked off the team, the players will serve a five-day suspension... Full story
- Ron Hart: Temptation of the Tebow
- Sports in America continues to grow, mainly because it is an entertainment business. With ESPN 1 through 50 and sports talk radio, coverage has evolved into tabloid intrigue. Pundits in overly striped suits speculate on their previous speculations al... Full story
- Connie Schultz: Blogging the cost of war
- America has roughly 1.1 million military spouses.
Alison Buckholtz is one of them. Twice in recent weeks, breaking news left the self-described Navy wife reeling.
First, she heard that Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, on his fourth deployment, had been acc... Full story