- Connie Schultz: Change is coming for menopause, my sistahs
- A new study shows that a two-minute hot flash burns more calories than 10 minutes of jogging.
Not really. I made that up. But I've been reading so many facts, rumors and downright dirty lies about menopause lately that I thought I'd throw that one o... Full story
- Ron Hart: Castro’s policies: Ships passing in the night
- It seems Fidel Castro had a deathbed conversion and now seeks to move his country toward capitalism. He told 500,000 government employees that they need to find work in the private sector. Their response: "What is a private sector?"
The economic pol... Full story
- Steve Chapman: The failure of Obama’s stimulus
- No one spends money like the federal government. This year alone, it will shovel out $3.7 trillion, which works out to $7 million a minute. So it may surprise you to find out the clearest lesson from the Obama administration's fiscal stimulus program... Full story
- Thomas D. Elias: Don’t believe all the polls
- It's high season for political polls, and if you listen to the people who run the surveys, television's Dr. House is wrong when he says everyone lies at least some of the time. The pollsters contend few voters ever lie to any of them.
"I believe the... Full story
- Robert Scheer: Don’t let the door hit you
- Robert Scheer
- Finally! The announced departure of Lawrence Summers as the president's top economic adviser is welcome news. Harvard's loss in taking back its $586,996-a-year professor and "president emeritus," who is also paid millions by Wall Street on the side, ... Full story
- Thomas Sowell: Penny-wise on crime
- For more than 200 years, the political left has been coming up with reasons why criminals should not be punished as much, or at all. The latest gambit in Missouri is providing judges with the costs of incarcerating the criminals they sentence.
Accor... Full story
- Tina Dupuy: He's just a president
- Tina Dupuy
- Disillusionment implies at some point you were illusioned. You believed something that turned out not to be true.
I watched a documentary where young people in the early '90s thought their music was "alternative," and then they were disillusioned wh... Full story
- Connie Schultz: We outnumber the religious fanatics
- Years ago, I criticized atheists who wanted to dissuade believers of their faith.
My argument was always the same: Why don't you just leave us alone?
Lately, though, I haven't felt so sturdy. We never are going to see the best of religion reflected... Full story
- Ron Hart: Time to revisit balance between freedom, security
- In the wake of the 9/11 remembrances and looking to the upcoming Mideast talks, it is a good time to reflect on what we have learned — and lost — since we took that sucker punch from a small group of al-Qaida cowards.
I make the case tha... Full story
- Cynthia Tucker: Dropout rate among black boys cause for concern
- The cover photo for a new report on black boys' educational attainment is sunny and optimistic, showing a boy of about 11, dressed in shirt and tie, beaming as he meets the president of the United States, Barack Obama. But the news that follows the p... Full story