Blaze destroys garage, firefighters save nearby structures

Julie R. Johnson/Corning Observer

A fire completely destroyed a detached garage at 1918 Taft Ave., around 1:19 p.m., on Monday, Aug. 30. Corning Fire Chief Tom Tomlinson is pictured preparing a hose to fight the blaze, however, the structure was fully engulfed upon the fire department's arrival and efforts were focused on prevention of damage to adjacent properties. The fire burned through an overhead electric wire, which remained live and sparking causing additional threats to firefighters. Pacific Gas and Electric was alerted to and responded to the problem. A neighbor said he saw what appeared to be a fireworks explode from the structure just as it started burning. A man who lives in the house on the property was at home at the time of the fire, but said he was unaware of the blaze until a police officer knocked on his door. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time, reported the Corning Volunteer Fire Department.