Brunch Beef Strata is from Beef It’s What’s For Dinner.
Makes eight servings.
Preparation/cooking time is 2 hours, plus 6 hours or overnight.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef.
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced.
- 1 cup chopped onion.
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves.
- 2 cups milk.
- 5 large eggs.
- Nonstick cooking spray.
- 8 cups crust-less bread cubes (3/4 inch).
- 3 cups shredded Asiago or fontina cheese.
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half.
- Thinly sliced fresh basil.
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4 inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside. Pour off drippings from skillet.
2. Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Set aside.
3. Whisk milk, eggs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in large bowl until blended.
4. Spray 2- 1/2 to 3 quart shallow baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half of the bread cubes, 1/2 cup of the cheese and half of the beef mixture in dish. Pour half of the egg mixture over the top. Top with remaining bread cubes, 1/2 cup of the cheese and remaining beef and egg mixture.
Cover with aluminum foil; refrigerate 6 hours or as long as overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake strata, covered, 55 minutes. Remove foil.
Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Top with tomatoes and basil, as desired.