Hamburger Soup is from Sunset Cook Book of Favorite Recipes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 2 pounds ground beef.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper, oregano, and basil.
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt.
- 1 package onion soup mix (for 3 or 4 servings).
- 6 cups boiling water.
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
- 1 cup celery, sliced crosswise.
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, torn in large pieces.
- 1 cup sliced carrots.
- 1/3 cup dried split peas.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni.
- Grated Parmesan cheese.
1) In a large sauce pan or kettle having a tight fitting lid, brown ground beef in oil. Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, seasoned salt, and onion soup mix.
2) Stir in boiling water, tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare celery, celery leaves, and carrots; then add to simmering mixture with split peas and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
3) Add macaroni and simmer 30 minutes longer, adding more water if necessary.
4) Pass grated Parmesan cheese to be sprinkled over individual servings.