Texas Beef King Ranch Casserole is from beeflovingtexans.com.
Makes 8 servings.
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour.
- 2 lbs beef sirloin.
- 1 cup onion, chopped.
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped.
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped.
- 2 – 4 tablespoons jalapeño, chopped.
- 1 teaspoon pepper.
- 1 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 1 tablespoon chili
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles.
- 1 can low - sodium beef broth.
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk.
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded.
- 12 corn tortillas.
1. Preheat oven to 350’F. Cook beef over low heat covered with water until fork tender, 30 - 45 minutes.
(Longer cooking makes the steak easier to shred. To save time, use leftover pot roast or steak, or purchase fully-cooked shredded beef.)
2. Place cooked beef on a hard surface and shred by pulling apart with two forks. Set aside.
3. Prepare a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Saute onion and peppers with dry ingredients until translucent. Add diced tomatoes, beef broth and milk, simmer.
4. Stir in cheese until melted. Add cooked, shredded beef.
5. Quarter tortillas and add to mixture. Pour into casserole dish prepared with non-stick spray.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.