The 38th annual Corning Jr. Rodeo was full of excitement and action as young cowboys and cowgirls competed in events steeped in western tradition on Saturday at the Estil Clark Park rodeo grounds.
Starting with the Hospitality Mixer last Friday cowgirl Catlyn MacKey ran a winning ride for the title of Corning Jr. Rodeo Queen. Mackey, 13, is the daughter of Doug and Kathy Mackey of Red Bluff. She said she is happy to be queen so she can represent the Corning Jr. Rodeo and encourage kids to reach for their dreams. MacKey received a brand new saddle sponsored by Rolling Hills Casino and Equestrian Center, custom-made chaps, a sash and other prizes.
First runner-up was Chelsea Clair, 17, of Shingletown, and second place went to 11-year-old Savannah Kampmann of Capay.
The mixer was also host to the crowning of Little Miss Rodeo Calli Gleason, Most Original Cowgirl Madison Johnson, Working Cowgirl Kensley Eller, and Best Dressed Ave MacKey.
Little cowpokes also competed in the Stick Horse Race, won by Arabella Heaurh and Alla MacKey. In dummy roping Jas Rivera roped in the win.
Opening Saturday’s rodeo singing the National Anthem was Celia Harrah, leading into the rodeo’s Grand Entry featuring all contestants with a crowd of friends and family cheering them on.
Cowboys and cowgirls from Nevada, Oregon and throughout California competed in the junior rodeo, as well as several locals from Corning and the surrounding area.
Rodeo action on Saturday featured Mutton Bustin’, one of the rodeo’s highlights and a real crowd pleaser. During this event youngsters ages 4-6 do their best to stay atop a wild and woolly sheep. This year’s winners were Denton Miller and Tyler Papini.
This was followed up by team roping, saddle and bareback bronc riding, bull, calf and steer riding, pole bending, tie-down and break away roping, goat tying, barrel racing, and steer stopping.
Cowboy Hammons of Corning earned the title of Senior All Around Cowboy, with Reghan Shannon of Los Moli nos earning the title of Senior All Around Cowgirl. Both were awarded new saddles sponsored by Rabobank, Les Schwab Tires, and Evan Johnson Construction.
Junior All Around Cowboy was Colton Suther of Palo Cedro, and Cowgirl was Claire Boles of Orland. They each were awarded silver spurs thanks to sponsors Caliente Saddle Shop, Roger and Jean Phillips and JK Ranch.
Results of the top places in the rodeo competition are as follows:
- Junior Girls Barrel Racing – Clare Boles, Orland first, Danica Wagner, Los Molinos, second, Jessie Wilson, Los Molinos, third, Jaycee Ford, Sutter, fourth.
- Senior Girls Barrel Racing: Makenna Byrne, Gridley, first, Reghan Shannon, Los Molinos, second, Kate Grimsman, Orland, third.
- Junior Boys Barrel Racing: Colton Suther, Palo Cedro, first, Tucker Kampman, Orland, second.
- Team Roping: Colton Suther, Palo Cedro, and Kate Grisman, Orland, first; Cowboy Hammons, Corning, and Reghan Shannon, Los Molinos, second; and Reno McGill, Gardnerville, Nev., and Denver McGill, Gardnerville, Nev., third.
- Junior Girls Pole Bending: Makenna Baker first, Camryn Schweninger second, Danica Wagner third, Savannah Kampman fourth.
- Senior Girls Pole Bending: Reghan Shannon first, Miley Bunting second.
- Junior Boys Pole Bending: Colton Suther first, Hayden Boles second
- Senior Girls Breakaway Roping: Kate Grimsman first, Kaylee King second, Miley Bunting third.
- Junior Girls Goat Tying: Claire Boles first, Danica Wagner second, Catlyn Mackey.
- Senior Girls Goat Tying: Payson McGill first, Madison Neves second
- Junior Boys Goat Tying: Colton Suther first, Hayden Boles second. Tie Down
- Roping: Weston Smith, Colfax, first, Cowboy Hammons, Corning, second.
- Junior Steer Stopping: Colton Suther first, Jaycee Ford second.
- Senior Steer Stopping: Denver McGill first, Payson McGill second, Miley Bunting third.
- Junior Bull Riding: Kevan Porter first, Ty Herderson second, Hunter Hughes third
- Steer Riding – no times.
- Calf Riding – no times.