Fall and winter are the perfect times of year to instill waste-reduction practices into your holiday gatherings, advises the Tehama County Landfill and Recycling.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Before shopping for this year’s feast, empty your fridge. Making room for different courses and leftovers will create a more efficient, less wasteful holiday meal.
- If you will be deep-frying a turkey, remember to save the fry oil and bring it to the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill to be recycled. Fry oil can be refined into biodiesel to be used in vehicles and other diesel engine equipment.
- Add a little extra holiday spirit to your table with homemade centerpieces and decorations using items from your yard. Your natural, seasonal décor will cut down on waste sent to the landfill and get your creative juices flowing.
- Nix disposable tableware and opt for cloth napkins and dishes. Not only will it cut down on waste and save you money, but it will surely give your holiday spread something extra.
- Don’t want to buy reusable dinnerware for large gatherings? We have a reusable dinnerware set for up to 50 guests that can be reserved at no cost.
- When wrapping gifts this year, try reusing materials you already have on hand. Old newspapers, magazines, and other literature make great wrapping paper and add character to your gift.
- Make a resolution to reduce future waste by learning to compost or making your own non-toxic cleaners.
- Finally, do not forget to recycle, said landfill staff. It is one of the easiest ways to reduce the amount of waste sent to the landfill. As an added benefit, it is cheaper than throwing it away and conserves natural resources.
While putting less in the trash can means less revenue for the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill, recycling and the waste reduction activities mentioned above provide benefits such as extending the life of the landfill and conserving precious resources.
For more information, or to reserve our reusable dinnerware set, please contact the Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency at 528-1103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.