How often do you get invited to a sesquicentennial celebration?
First Christian Church in Colusa is celebrating 150 years of service on Sunday, May 19, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and invites the community to attend.
According to Pastor Samuel Krouse, the festivities will include greeting opportunities from several dignitaries who have been invited, a history and highlights of the 150 years of service, special music, a speaker, several songs and a sermon.
That will be followed by complimentary food and drinks and a celebratory birthday cake in the Fellowship Hall.
The event will be in the original building at 725 Jay Street in Colusa.
Work on the existing structure began in August of 1868 by M.B. Farris.
According to a statement released by the church, the design of the building was a “practical adaptation of colonial architecture resulting in a simple, functional, white-painted brick structure with Gothic arched doors and windows.”
In 1879, a brick bell tower measuring forty-two feet high was added to the building. Upon the bell tower, a wooden spire was built, adding an additional thirty-three vertical feet.
The original church steeple has since been removed but the building still remains similar to its original design.
For many years, the church’s double doors were used to separate men and women as they entered the sanctuary. Women would sit on one side while men would sit on another, each using the adjacent door to come and go.
According to the statement released by the church, early pastors and members of the Colusa Church were closely identified with the establishment of Pierce Christian College in 1874, in College City. Andrew Pierce, for whom the College was named, was a member of the Colusa congregation.
The church currently holds services on Sundays at 5 p.m.
For more information, call Sara Niles at 530-356-9385 after 11 a.m.