UPDATE: Chance Dale Thompson, who became brain dead Sunday after he was Tasered by sheriff's deputies, was still on life support Thursday night.

Yuba County sheriff's deputies used a Taser to subdue Thompson, 35, after he fought deputies and resisted arrest. Deputies first confronted him when they found him punching and kicking the air on property belonging to Western Aggregates. They suspect he was under the influence of a controlled substance.

Deputies forced Thompson to the ground as he continued to aggressively fight and resist, according to Undersheriff Jerry Read. They discharged the Taser multiple times. He continued to kick at the deputies after he was handcuffed.

Emergency Medical Services were requested and while they were en route, Thompson's breathing became labored, and he stopped breathing. Deputies performed CPR, both rescue breathing and chest compressions.

Thompson's parents and the mother of his son believe the incident caused him to go into cardiac arrest. They have expressed concern deputies may have used excessive force.

Where on his body Thompson was struck, how many times, and for how long, is still unclear.

His family was working to schedule the harvest of his organs before they remove Thompson from life support at Rideout Memorial Hospital. He is a registered organ donor.

A 35-year-old man was brain dead and in critical condition Wednesday, days after Yuba County sheriff's deputies shocked him multiple times with a Taser.

Sheriff's officials said deputies early Sunday discharged the Taser to subdue Chance Dale Thompson after he attacked a deputy and aggressively resisted arrest.

They confronted Thompson after a security guard reported a man was acting bizarrely near the entrance of Western Aggregate in the 4700 block of Hammonton-Smartville Road.

Deputies suspected he was under the influence of methamphetamine, and he had alcohol in his system.

Thompson's mother and stepfather told the Appeal-Democrat on Wednesday Thompson was previously healthy. They alleged the Taser caused cardiac arrest. Thompson is now brain dead, according to his stepfather, Harrison Guthrie. Thompson's 19-year-old son was given responsibility for deciding whether to remove his father from life support.

Jessica Dilliplane, Thompson's ex-girlfriend and mother of his child, said Wednesday night they planned to remove Thompson from life support this morning.

Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson said deputies first came upon Thompson standing on a retaining wall at 2:13 a.m. He was not wearing a shirt and was punching and kicking the air, "just acting bizarre."

Deputies spoke to him and tried to get him to come down off the wall to evaluate the situation. Thompson did not communicate with them.

"They reached up to his leg and kind of pulled him down off the wall," Johnson said. "He essentially jumped off the wall and landed on his feet. He started attacking one of the deputies."

A struggle ensued, and ultimately the other deputy discharged the Taser to subdue Thompson.

A Taser can either shoot two prongs connected to wires, or a cartridge can be removed and it can be used as a stun gun, applied directly to the body. In this case, the weapon shot electrical current from a short distance.

"They were, this whole time, giving verbal commands to surrender, and he wasn't complying," Johnson said. "Eventually, they were both trying to subdue him."

The Taser was used multiple times, but "I'm not prepared to say how many times," Johnson said.

Thompson continued to resist, and "it wasn't incapacitating him where (a deputy) could get handcuffs on him," according to Johnson.

Ultimately, they were able to get him into handcuffs.

Shortly after he was handcuffed, Thompson's breathing became labored. Deputies called for an ambulance.

"Before the ambulance arrived, he appeared to stop breathing on them," Johnson said. "They initiated CPR and continued CPR until the ambulance arrived."

Thompson's mother, Charlotte Guthrie, and his stepfather said they received a call Sunday they needed to go to Rideout Memorial Hospital, where Thompson was on life support.

"I'm the kind of guy that believes cops are innocent until proven guilty, but that just seems like excessive use of force," Harrison Guthrie said.

Dilliplane said she wants answers from the department.

"I'm not looking to blame (deputies) if this is because of something Chance did. If we find out it was excessive force and he was Tased nine times, we want to know why," Dilliplane said on the phone from the hospital.

"I know he was involved in extensive alcohol and drug abuse. He was still someone's father, son and friend. He still matters to people."

Guthrie said Thompson has been in trouble his whole life — petty theft, burglary and drug possession — but he was never violent.

The Sheriff's Department is conducting an internal investigation, assisted by the District Attorney's Office.

The deputies involved have not been placed on administrative leave.

CONTACT reporter Monica Vaughan at 749-4783 and on Twitter @ADCrimeBeat.

Recommended for you