A recall effort targeting Yuba County Supervisor Andy Vasquez has fallen short of the required number of qualified signatures to hold a special election.

County Clerk Terry Hansen confirmed today that only 55 percent of signatures contained on petitions seeking the ouster of the 1st District supervisor were of verified registered voters. The remaining 45 percent were declared invalid, the majority of those being signatures of people not registered to vote.

“The nature of recalls is that it is meant to be difficult,” Hansen said. “I’m not saying it was a frivolous attempt. It was a serious attempt, but it fell short.”

Only 806 of 1,456 signatures turned in were determined to be of registered voters within the district. Recall supporters needed 1,069 signatures of registered voters to force a special recall election.

Recommended for you