Lloyd Leighton’s letter to the editor points out what happens when high government fees raise the cost of building new homes. Wealthier Californians can still afford to buy a home. They benefit from artificially high appreciation rates caused by the shortage of housing that these high fees cause. Lower income households face ever increasing rents because of the shortages. California’s housing policy is a failure. One of the reasons my daughter and son-in-law moved out of state is because they wanted a home they could afford.
Write us and share your views
We publish letters to the editor that follow these guidelines:
• 490 words or less.
• We reserve the right to edit all letters for length, libel, clarity, accuracy, grammar and punctuation.
• Include your name, signature, street address and telephone number.
• The full text of our guidelines is at www.appealdemocrat.com.
• Email: ADLetters@appealdemocrat.com
• Mail: The Open Forum, 1530 Ellis Lake Drive, Marysville, CA 95901.
• Online: www.appealdemocrat.com.